Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Kissing Cousins?


See any resemblance?

“No, we’re not related” has been the answer to the most pressing question on each of the doctor’s minds whom we’ve visited lately. The primary suspect in the big Audrey eye mystery has been a genetic retinal disease. We knew that LCA is an autosomal recessive condition, but today at our appointment with a geneticist, we learned that many people with diseases passed down this way are products of parents who are closely genetically linked, aka relatives. Having families separated by hundreds of miles and knowing that LCA can also be caused by a mutation are good insurance against that possibility. It’s scary though, a LOT of people do say that Brian and I look alike.

All kidding aside, we saw a wonderful geneticist, Marilyn Jones today who had a wonderful way with Audrey and her fragile mom. She took our family history and plenty of time to answer our questions and to discuss a best course of action. Grandma Judy came along for moral support, armed with baby soothing skills and parking money. I had given Brian all my cash this morning since he had his rental car broken into (his car is in the shop after being rear ended). While he was surfing, the thieves ran off with his wallet, cell phone, AND his clothes. I'm actually happy that they ran off with his pants. I hated those pants. Luckily he had on a wetsuit. Five people had filled up their tanks with gas by the time he got hold of the credit card company. What a day! Glad it's over.

2 comments:

  1. Im sending you a hug!!! What a day lady! Hope to see you and Ms. Audry soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I thought I had posted, but I am need at blogging. Audrey looks so beautiful in her new pearl pink glasses. When Barbara (Grandma Babs to Audrey) showed me the photo of Audrey in her new glasses I was so happy I had to laugh she looked so da_ _ adorable. I hope to Audrey Sunday in Redlands. My love and prayers are with you guys everyday. xoxo, Janet

    ReplyDelete